ABC is accredited by:
The Association for Biblical Higher Education
ABC is institutionally accredited by the COA of the Association for Biblical Higher Education. ABHE is a national accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. ABC is accredited through ABHE to grant certificates and degrees at the Bible Certificate, Associate, Baccalaureate, and Master's levels.
Association for Biblical Higher Education
5850 T.G. Lee Blvd., Ste. 130
Orlando, FL 32822-1781
Concerns about the institution's compliance with ABHE's standards, policies, or procedures may be submitted to ABHE in accordance with their Complaint Policy
March 8, 2021 - The ABHE Commission on Accreditation reaffirmed accreditation of ABC until 2030.
The Higher Learning Commission
The HLC is a regional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604
January 1, 2000 - ABC received "Status: Accredited" from the HLC.
February 27, 2011 - Online Bible Certificate program received "Status: Accredited" from the HLC.
July 27, 2015 - Accredited status continued by the HLC at the meeting of the Institutional Actions Council.
November 1, 2018 - Additional Location Confirmation (Mount Olive Correctional Complex).
March 25-27, 2019 - Comprehensive Evaluation Campus Visit by HLC Peer Review Team.
July 30, 2019 - The Institutional Actions Council of the HLC (IAC) accepted the team report from the Comprehensive Evaluation.
Complaints about the institution’s ability to meet the Criteria for Accreditation may be submitted to HLC through their online complaint form or to the address above.
West Virginia Department of Education
The WVDE is a specialized body that has given ABC's Elementary Education Department "Approved Program" status for the K-6 level.
West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25305
Complaints may be submitted to the address above or through the WVDE website.
The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) advances equity and excellence in educator preparation through evidence-based national accreditation that assures quality and supports continuous improvement to strengthen P-12 student learning. Five standards require excellence in Content and Pedagogical Knowledge; Clinical Partnerships and Practices; Candidate Quality, Recruitment, and Selectivity; Program Impact; and Provider Quality Assurance and Continuous Improvement. ABC's Elementary Education major holds CAEP accreditation through Fall 2025.
1140 19th St NW
Washington, DC 20036
What is accreditation?
There are three categories of accrediting agencies: regional, national, and specialized.
Regional accreditation provides transferability and credibility between undergraduate and graduate schools, both Christian and secular. Regional accreditation does not dictate how or what an institution teaches but verifies that the institution is meeting specific quality standards and its stated mission. Appalachian Bible College has been regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 2000.
There are a variety of national accrediting bodies that evaluate and confirm how an institution is fulfilling its mission and goals related to a special purpose. ABC has been nationally accredited by the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) since 1967. ABHE confirms that ABC is achieving with excellence its purpose of "educating and equipping servants" for the local church.
Various specialized accrediting bodies evaluate and confirm how an institution is fulfilling its mission and goals in a specialized field or program like medicine, law, or education. The Elementary Education Department at ABC has "Approved Program" status with the West Virginia Department of Education, allowing Elementary Education students to receive state licensure. The Elementary Education major also holds CAEP accreditation (see above).
What does ABC's accreditation mean for you?
- You can enroll at ABC with confidence in the quality of your education, as well as the credibility and transferability of your credits at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels of education.
- You can attend ABC and increase your financial assistance by applying for federal and state aid. Accreditation entitles students to take advantage of these opportunities.
- You can graduate from ABC assured employers will acknowledge your degree in both the national and international community. In addition, a regionally accredited degree will assist you when obtaining a visa to serve in a foreign country.
- You can be confident that ABC provides one of the finest Bible college educations available anywhere. ABC’s national accreditation with ABHE guarantees excellence and balance of training in Bible, the development of Christian character, and training in practical Christian service.
Appalachian Bible College is recognized by:
- The Selective Service System
- Approved by the office of Veterans' Education of the West Virginia State Department of Education for training under the Veterans' program
- Authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students
- The West Virginia Division of Vocational Rehabilitation for the education of those receiving rehabilitation assistance